Sunday, November 7, 2010

Adventures with Orange Cake!

Have you ever bought an orange cake mix in a grocery store? If so, I need to know which one and how long ago that might have been. I'm guessing it hasn't been in the last ten years...ask me how I know? Yep, I've driven to many grocery stores in Tarrant County and called even more and NONE of them carry orange cake. Who knew orange cake could be so hard to find? This adventure started when my good friend had a birthday and was going to celebrate without his favorite orange cake. I decided I'd make one and take it to him...well, after seaching a few stores I opted to try a recipe I had for strawberry cake, only substitute everything strawberry for orange. That cake turned out to be a DISASTER...it totally fell apart, which didn't really surprise me because when I made it as a strawberry cake it did the same thing. (A sidenote...this did end up being a happy disaster because I turned the hideous cake into orange/dark chocolate cake balls...yes, they were good!!) I wrote on top of the recipe card "this recipe is crap" so I won't make the mistake of making that one again. So, off I went again looking for a box for an orange cake mix...he has assured me they were sold in stores. Still couldn't find it. Chris ended up looking on Amazon.com and found they sold them in sets of six, but now it was too late...I had to use a white cake and orange extract...LOTS of orange extract. But, the good news is, the cake (actually I made cupcakes...I wanted to have a taste test before delivering!) turned out great. It was fun to see my Castleberry friends...hard to believe I was pregnant with Laura when I quit teaching there. And, since this is a stamping blog, I thought I'd show you the tag I put on top of the cupcake box. The stamp is from Crazy for Cupcakes, and I colored it in using a new In Color Peach Parfait, Blush Blossom, and Bashful Blue. Enjoy...and if you know where to find orange cake mixes, let me know...I don't need it now, but am still curious! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment